Network Deployment (Distributed operating systems), v8.0 > Monitor > Monitor application flow
Get performance data from request metrics
This topic describes how to enable request metrics. Request metrics is a tool that enables you to track individual transactions, recording the processing time in each of the major WAS components.
We can enable request metrics from the following locations:
- The admin console.
To enable request metrics in the admin console, refer to the instructions under the Steps for this task section that follows.
- Command line. Java Management Extensions (JMX) interfaces are exposed for enabling request metrics through external tools. For more details on the exposed interfaces, refer to the request metrics API documentation.
To enable request metrics in the admin console:
- Open the admin console.
- Click Monitor and Tuning > Request Metrics
- Verify that Prepare servers for request metrics collection check box is selected. If Prepare servers for request metrics collection check box is not selected, you will have to select it, save the change, and restart the server.
- Select All, None, or Custom under Components to be instrumented to specify the request metrics components. If you select Custom, be sure to select the components you would like to enable.
- Specify the components that are instrumented by request metrics.
- Specify how much data to collect.
- Enable and disable logging.
- Enable Application Response Measurement (ARM) Agent.
- Specify which ARM type to use.
- Specify the name of the ARM transaction factory implementation class.
- Isolate performance for specific types of requests.
- Add and remove request metrics filters.
- Click Apply or OK.
- Click Save.
The request metrics is enabled.
What to do nextTo ensure that the web server plug-in recognizes the changes you made for the request metrics configuration, follow the steps in Regenerate the web server plug-in configuration file, if logging time spent in the web server.
Application Response Measurement
Isolating performance for specific types of requests
Specify how much data to collect
Regenerate the web server plug-in configuration file
Enable and disable logging
Monitor application flow
Why use request metrics?