Rational Functional Tester is part of IBM Rational Software Delivery Platform. The IBM Rational Software Delivery Platform is a common development environment that contains the development workbench and other software components that share multiple products.
About Rational Functional Tester
IBM Rational Functional Tester is an object-oriented automated testing tool that tests Windows , .Net, Java , HTML, Siebel, SAP, AJAX, PowerBuilder, Flex, Dojo, and GEF applications. You can also test Adobe PDF documents, and zSeries , iSeries , and pSeries applications. Rational Functional Tester enables you to record reliable, robust scripts that can be played back to validate new builds of a test application.
Functional Tester is available in two integrated development environments.
- Records user actions to create simplified test scripts.
- Supports two scripting languages for advanced users.
- Java scripting uses the Java language
- VB.NET 2003 and VB.NET 2005 scripting uses the VB.NET language and the Microsoft Visual Studio .NET development environment.
Rational Functional Tester Extension for Terminal-based Applications is a tool that helps you create test scripts to automate your host application test cases. Functional Tester Extension for Terminal-based Application provides a rich set of capabilities to test host attributes, host field attributes and screen flow through a host application. It uses terminal verification points and properties, as well as synchronization code to identify the readiness of terminal for user input.
Rational Functional Tester Extension for Terminal-based Applications supports connection to zSeries (TN3270 terminal types for MVS™ and VM), iSeries (TN5250 terminal type for OS/400®) and pSeries (VT terminal types for Unix) hosts.
Use Functional Tester Extension for Terminal-based Applications, you can:
- Store, load, and share common host configurations by using a properties file. The connection configuration can be loaded automatically through scripts, using these files.
- Record or play back scripts against multiple host terminals.
- Launch the terminal even when you are not recording or playing back your scripts. With this function, you can interact with the host without leaving the working Eclipse or the .NET environment.
From Rational Functional Tester version 8.0 release, the Functional Tester Extension for Terminal-based Application is integrated with Rational Functional Tester . You do not need to buy a separate license for working with Functional Tester Extension for Terminal-based Application.